Job title: Stallion Handler
Based at: The National Stud, Newmarket
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 48 hours per week, 12 days from 14
About the role
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Stallion Handler to join our Team at The National Stud. This role will have overall responsibility for the day-to-day management of the Stallion unit and the horses residing there ensuring that the highest level of care and welfare standards are maintained.
About The National Stud
Part of The Jockey Club Group, The National Stud has been an integral part of the British thoroughbred industry for over 100 years. Alongside our breeding services we also offer specialist training for stud staff and public tours. Our Objectives are simple:
• To provide a first-class range of comprehensive breeding services to ourclients
• Train the next generation of industry leaders through our stud stafftraining
• Raise interest and knowledge in the thoroughbred industry with our publictours.
At The Jockey Club Group people are at the heart of what we do and drive our success. We are inclusive and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. Diverse, collaborative teams are pivotal to our success and support the potential and growth of all our people.
The Stallion Handler will
• Manage and contributing to the day-to-day routine of the Stallion Unit.
• Be responsible for the care of the horses in the Stallion Unit, which includes handling, grooming, presentation, nutrition, and exercise.
• Manage the Stallion Unit team including performance, holiday cover and annual appraisals!
• Ensure that the Stallion unit is always kept tidy and presentable.Including use of small machinery, including back-pack blowers and strimmers.
• Manage Stallions for veterinary surgeons and farriers.
• Be responsible for ensuring that day to day activity including movements, treatments, farrier visits etc are recorded in the yard diaries.
• Liaise with Stud office with regards to daily covering schedules during the breeding and stallion shows throughout the year.
• Ensure that all pre-covering procedures are implemented and adhered to throughout the breeding season.
• Take a lead role in the preparation and presentation of stallions for coverings.
• Prepare and present stallions to owners and visitors.
• Provide out of season support the wider team as required whilst maintaining day to day care of Stallion Unit residents.
• Previous experience of handling stallions advantageous but not essential.
What we offer in return
• All colleagues can go along to any of our race day or music events free of charge - along with 3 friends or family with our TeamPass Ticket scheme.
• An award-winning pension scheme provider with a generous employer contribution
• A healthcare cash back plan enabling you to claim money back on health & wellbeing services.
• 25 days annual leave
• Access to a suite of Learning & Development training resources from renowned providers
• A whole host of other benefits including free eyecare vouchers, a ride to work cycle scheme & discounts across varying retailers & services.
If you think you have everything we’re looking for and more, then we’d love to hear from you. Don’t hang around, our closing date for this vacancy is 16 th November but we reserve the right to bring this forward if we have many applications.