Job title: Yard Supervisor
Based at: The National Stud, Newmarket
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 48 hours per week, 12 days from 14
About the role
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Yard Supervisor to join our Team at The National Stud. This role will Manage all day-to-day activity, horse welfare and team management on a designated yard during the breeding season & assist with sales prep and southern hemisphere foaling during the second half of the year.
About The National Stud
Part of The Jockey Club Group, The National Stud has been an integral part of the British thoroughbred industry for over 100 years. Alongside our breeding services we also offer specialist training for stud staff and public tours. Our Objectives are simple:
• To provide a first-class range of comprehensive breeding services to ourclients
• Train the next generation of industry leaders through our stud stafftraining
• Raise interest and knowledge in the thoroughbred industry with our publictours.
At The Jockey Club Group people are at the heart of what we do and drive our success. We are inclusive and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. Diverse, collaborative teams are pivotal to our success and support the potential and growth of all our people.
The Yard Supervisor will
• Manage the welfare and care of horses in your yard.
• Deliver Presentation of your work area to a high standard, including reporting any paddock management and maintenance requirements to the Stud Manager.
• Supervise and coach students and junior members of the team when allocated to your work area.
• Assist with foaling and sitting up as scheduled during the breeding season.
• Demonstrate the highest standards of horse husbandry and equine welfare in day-to-day practices.
• Keep yard diary and records up to date daily including but not limited to medication/treatments, arrivals/departures, vet and farrier visits and internal movements.
• Update and maintain Health & Safety information display and equipment in your yard.
• Strong knowledge of all areas of the Thoroughbred racing and breeding industry including all current National Stud stallions, their profile and position within the market.
• Comprehensive understanding of all thoroughbred sales to include specific knowledge on each sale, its requirements and market trends.
• At least 1-2 years’ experience working in a stud farm with a strong understanding of breeding processes and procedures including breeding regulations as set out by NSFA.
• Experience in inspecting horses and recording physical attributes.
• An Excellent communicator with great interpersonal skills to maintain and develop clients as well as work with a wide range of stakeholders.
• Able to work on all Microsoft programs effectively and efficiently with a particular focus on Microsoft Excel and large databases.
What we offer in return
• All colleagues can go along to any of our race day or music events free of charge - along with 3 friends or family with our TeamPass Ticket scheme.
• An award-winning pension scheme provider with a generous employer contribution
• A healthcare cash back plan enabling you to claim money back on health & wellbeing services.
• 25 days annual leave
• Access to a suite of Learning & Development training resources from renowned providers
• A whole host of other benefits including free eyecare vouchers, a ride to work cycle scheme & discounts across varying retailers & services.
If you think you have everything we’re looking for and more, then we’d love to hear from you. Don’t hang around, our closing date for this vacancy is 16th November but we reserve the right to bring this forward if we have many applications.