Job title: Operations Manager
Based at: Epsom Downs Racecourse
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 40 hours per week
About the role
We have a fantastic opportunity for an Operations Manager to join our Epsom Downs Racecourse team delivering across a varied range of activities across our wide portfolio of events and racedays at this iconic sporting venue home of the Derby.
About The Jockey Club
The Jockey Club stages thrilling sporting occasions and live events nationwide including The Grand National, The Cheltenham Festival & The Derby. Owning & operating 15 courses, millions of people every year enjoy the special experiences we offer through racing, music, food and entertainment on racedays and beyond.
As the largest commercial group in British racing, we are guided by our mission to act for the long term good of the sport. Every penny we make goes back into racing to promote excellence within Britain’s second biggest spectator sport. Our people are what makes this possible
At The Jockey Club people are at the heart of what we do and drive our success. We are inclusive and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. Diverse, collaborative teams are pivotal to our success and support the potential and growth of all our people.
The Operations Manager will
• Be the operational lead for The Derby Festival leading in the delivery and execution of temporary facilities, safety & security programmes, temporary internal & external resource and compliance of appropriate documents.
• Be the day-to-day of Head of Operations for Epsom Downs Racecourse leading a team of Event Managers, Facilities Operatives, and external providers to deliver the site to a world class standard acting as the premises supervisor.
• Support Epsom Downs Racecourse in becoming a centre of excellence planning strategically, developing, and maintaining the operational planning programme.
• Identify risks and issues at the earliest stage possible and implement relative change and control measures.
• Deliver racing and event’s needs, ensuring that cross department liaison is effective in delivering an efficient, cost-effective operation that always exceeds customers’ expectations.
• Ensure that operational tasks incorporate cross-functional team requirements and are delivered within agreed schedules and with clearly defined areas of responsibility.
• Own the operations budget, checking and certifying invoices and controlling expenditure, whilst seeking to improve operational profitability.
• Ensure that a collaborative approach is applied, with information shared and accessible across relevant teams.
• Collaboratively work with our partners in developing and approving security/stewarding/cleaning/ traffic schedules for racing and events, ensuring that the venue is presented to a high standard and delivering a safe event.
• Ensure that appropriate Event Medical, Event Radio Communications, Event Control Room and contingency plans are in place as required for all events and racedays
• Be a leader on the implementation of all Health & Safety requirements with responsibility for day-to-day management of Health & Safety playing an active role in across site.
• Outstanding communicator with a hands-on approach able to contribute positively and influence business decisions.
• Proven people leader adept at inspiring and leading teams to deliver results.
• Thrives in a team environment collaborating effectively across a varied stakeholder group both internally & externally.
• Commercially savvy and experienced in controlling a sizeable budget.
• Proactive and comfortable taking ownership and responsibility with a hands-on approach.
• Logical thinker comfortable using initiative, identifying risks, and resolving issues.
• Professional Service approach knowledge
• Proven experience in a large events environment
What we offer in return
• All colleagues can go along to any of our race day or music events free of charge - along with 3 friends or family with our TeamPass Ticket scheme.
• An award-winning pension scheme provider with a generous employer contribution
• A healthcare cash back plan enabling you to claim money back on health & wellbeing services.
• 25 days annual leave
• Access to a suite of Learning & Development training resources from renowned providers
• A whole host of other benefits including free eyecare vouchers, a ride to work cycle scheme & discounts across varying retailers & services.
If you think you have everything we’re looking for and more, then we’d love to hear from you. Don’t hang around, our closing date for this vacancy is 7 th November but we reserve the right to bring this forward if we have many applications.
This role may be subject to a criminal record check, standard or enhanced DBS check or BHA Suitability Check. By applying you confirm that you are happy for these checks to be carried out.