POSITION DESCRIPTION – Thoroughbred Stud Hand Part Time (Racehorses, Yearlings & Weanlings)
Purpose of Position This position holds the responsibility of leading the Thoroughbred Team to ensure that all horses (racehorses, yearlings & weanlings) at Hirsch Racing (Dixons Creek) are provided with the exceptional day-to-day care and education. Key Accountabilities The role accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a roster for all feeding, care and exercise of all thoroughbreds;
- Manage the day-to-day feeding, grooming, care, and exercise (if required) of all Thoroughbreds;
- Ensure stable areas are kept clean and tidy and maintained to a high-quality level at all times;
- Manage all horses health and soundness at all times and report all major issues or suspected issues to the Director, General Manager, Racing Manager and or veterinarian as soon as possible;
- Manage third party requirements of all horses such as veterinary, farrier and other specialist activities by arranging for horses to be brought in from and returned to respective paddocks and held during specialist care;
- Lead and manage the Thoroughbred team to ensure best practises are applied in all areas of work and the team is highly motivated and high performing at all times;
- Special Conditions This position requires weekend or out of hours work. Working hours will be on a rostered basis. This position is hand-on and physically demanding and requires a high level of physical strength, fitness and stamina. Essential Knowledge, Skills and ExperienceDemonstrated experience in a similar position;
- Proven experience managing the care and education of yearlings and weanlings;
- Proven experience managing the care of racehorses in their spelling periods;
- Demonstrated experience working in a team environment;
- Previous experience leading a high performing motivated team;
- Proven attention to detail and ability to follow instructions;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- An understanding and appreciation of Work Health & Safety obligations.
- Qualifications EssentialFull Driver Licence (Sighting and photocopying of original licence is required);
- Experienced in the safe operation of ATV and other heavy farm equipment.
- DesirableTertiary Qualifications in Equine Management or Racing Industry.
Valid and current working Visa is a prerequisite for this position