About the role
If you are passionate about equine welfare and have a program management background with experience managing people, this is your chance to make a meaningful impact on the lives of retired racehorses.
We are looking for an experienced program manager to take the lead in strategically managing the day-to-day operations of Off the Track WA (OTTWA
) program at the OTTWA Estate in North Dandalup. The OTTWA Estate program facilitates the retraining and rehoming of retired racehorses, allowing them to transition to new careers as pleasure or performance horses.
As the OTTWA Estate and Retraining Program Manager, you will ensure the welfare of horses kept at the Estate is of the highest standard and will oversee and coordinate the retraining and rehoming of OTT (Off the Track) horses both at the Estate and through the program’s Official Retrainers. You will be the face of the OTTWA Estate and Retraining Program to both internal and external stakeholders and ensure the program is able to accomplish its operational objectives. The successful candidate may have the option to reside on-site.
Your duties & tasks include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the retraining and rehoming of all horses taken on by the OTTWA program, from entry to the program through to final rehoming.
- Prepare and implement OTTWA program strategy intended to optimise program delivery and align with RWWA animal welfare strategies in conjunction with Animal Welfare Operations Manager
- Develop and oversee OTTWA Estate program budget. Ensure the program is managed in accordance with budgetary constraints.
- Manage all staff associated with the OTTWA Estate and ensure the OTTWA program has staff to accomplish program outcomes, including hiring new staff or replacing staff, as necessary.
- Responsible for designing feed, exercise and rehabilitation programs to maintain horses in good condition and prepared to cater for individual horses’ needs.
- Maintain all husbandry, veterinary and training records for horses and the program in ASM and other platforms as necessary
- Prepare and implement training plans for horses at varied stages of their transition from racing to retirement
- Coordinate and attend events at the OTTWA Estate including promotional/marketing events, employee inductions, partnership initiatives, and other events as may be required from time to time
- Ensure that the OTTWA Estate presents at all times to a high standard, having regard for the regular visits of staff, contractors, and members of the public to the facility.
- Ensure responsibility for work health & safety at the OTTWA Estate and for activities occurring within the OTTWA program.
- Coordinate and oversee general property maintenance with staff or contractors
- Monthly KPI reporting
- Liaise with RWWA’s Facilities Manager for building and maintenance projects
- Experience in program management, including the development of program strategies and budgets.
- Effective communication skills, and experience in liaising and negotiation skills.
- Background in equine-related program management.
- Experience in and ability to supervise and coach staff when handling and riding horses of unknown temperament is required, including making assessments about the suitability of horse to rider abilities/skill level.
- High-level experience handling and training horses for various equestrian disciplines is essential
- Ability to undertake ridden work is not an inherent requirement of the role but may be looked upon desirably.
- In-depth knowledge of horse care, health assessment and experience with thoroughbred and Standardbred breeds.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and re-align program strategy and direction with organisational needs and broader strategy.
- Providing subject matter advice in the development of additional OTTWA initiatives.
- Ability to motivate a team and manage staff to achieve set program outcomes.
- Demonstrated time management skills and ability to effectively prioritise competing demands
- Computer literacy-Microsoft Office/Windows Environment
- Administrative skills including, report writing, record-keeping and invoicing
- Current ‘C’ class driver’s licence. LR / MR /HR licence beneficial
- Experience transporting horses in a double float
What are you waiting for?
Apply now with your CV and cover letter telling us why you’re the perfect fit for this opportunity.
For more information visit our website
or contact us at TalentAcquisition@rwwa.com.au
As part of the recruitment process, you will be required to complete Pre-Employment screening, which will include two reference checks, police clearance and Australian Working Rights check.
At Racing and Wagering WA, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity of gender, thought, experience, and ethnicity. We are committed to providing a safe work environment and making reasonable adjustments in which everyone is included and treated fairly.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage women, people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent and people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.
- Forward-thinking and ambitious team that values diversity, hard work, and the continuous quest for excellence.
- Access to a world class L&D platform in Udemy Business
- 17.5% loading on Annual Leave
- Enjoy discounts on optical and Private Health Insurance
- The opportunity to participate in a variety of regular employee experience events and wellness initiatives.
- Generous maternity/paternity leave entitlements