Job title: Clerk of the Course
Based at: Nottingham & Warwick Racecourses
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
About the role
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Clerk of the course to join our team based at Nottingham & Warwick Racecourses undertaking responsibility for all matters relating to turf management, estate management, raceday preparation and delivery, and to act as raceday Clerk when directed
About The Jockey Club
The Jockey Club stages thrilling sporting occasions and live events nationwide including The Grand National, The Cheltenham Festival & The Derby. Owning & operating 15 course’s, millions of people every year enjoy the special experiences we offer through racing, music, food and entertainment on raceday’s and beyond.
As the largest commercial group in British racing, we are guided by our mission to act for the long term good of the sport. Every penny we make goes back into racing to promote excellence within Britain’s second biggest spectator sport. Our people are what makes this possible
At The Jockey Club people are at the heart of what we do and drive our success. We are inclusive and actively seek to attract people with unique backgrounds and perspectives. Diverse, collaborative teams are pivotal to our success and support the potential and growth of all our people.
The Clerk of the Course will
• Recruit, train and lead all permanent and casual ground staff.
• Maintain and enhance the racing surface to include the grass and sward, running rail, fences, hurdles, wings, furlong and direction markers, canter downs, course crossings and all equine related areas.
• Lead on the planning, implementation, and management of all turf management course and grounds projects
• Prepare and manage all budgets relating to the course.
• Oversee all grounds maintenance including landscaping, lawns, and flower beds/baskets/pots.
• Lead on all raceday preparation including Liaison with BHA officials and organisation of all Raceday Officials, Medical and Veterinary requirements in compliance with BHA General Instructions and local Standing Orders
• Responsibility for Raceday going and all going reports.
• Collaboratively partner to achieve the optimum fixture list and production of comprehensive sponsorship programme.
• Deliver production of racing programme and planning of prize money allocation
• A logical thinker who thrives in taking ownership and responsibility remaining calm under pressure.
• A real team player with a Proactive approach to solving problems.
• A Qualified and experienced Clerk with excellent knowledge of the racing industry
• Possess a Full UK Drivers Licence
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Working knowledge of Health & Safety processes and the management of them
• Experienced in leading a team to deliver results and managing budgets.
What we offer in return
• All colleagues can go along to any of our race day or music events free of charge - along with 3 friends or family with our TeamPass Ticket scheme.
• An award-winning pension scheme provider with a generous employer contribution
• A healthcare cash back plan enabling you to claim money back on health & wellbeing services.
• 25 days annual leave
• Access to a suite of Learning & Development training resources from renowned providers
• A whole host of other benefits including free eyecare vouchers, a ride to work cycle scheme & discounts across varying retailers & services.
If you think you have everything we’re looking for and more, then we’d love to hear from you. Don’t hang around, our closing date for this vacancy is 29 th November but we reserve the right to bring this forward if we have many applications.